Potato salad is my go-to dish for picnics, barbecues and any family gathering, it’s delicious with virtually everything, including veal schnitzel. For me, hard boiled eggs are a must; the yolks break up a little and add their creaminess to the dressing. Pancetta is optional, I like its saltiness, but you can make an excellent vegetarian potato salad without it. Especially when pancetta is included though, I like a soft chilled red with this substantial salad … it’s hard to go past Murdoch Hill’s pinot noir.
Serves 6 as a side dish
- 1.5kg kipfler potatoes, peeled
- Salt flakes, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 200g flat pancetta, sliced
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped cornichons
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- ½ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons strained lemon juice
- Cut potatoes into large bite-sized pieces.
- Boil in well-salted water for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Tip into a strainer and set aside for a few minutes to steam dry.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a frying pan over medium heat, add pancetta and cook, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Place egg, cornichon and chives in a large mixing bowl.
- Crumble or dice the pancetta (depending on how crisp it is) and add to the bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Add mayonnaise mixture and potato to the bowl and use your hands to gently toss, combining thoroughly.
- Cover and set aside until needed.
Serve potato salad with Beef Tagliata & Salsa Verde ~ Chicken Schnitzel ~ Mustard-crusted Roast Lamb ~ Rare Roast Beef ~ Salami-stuffed Chicken Drumsticks ~ Spatchcock with Chilli, Garlic & Lemon ~ Steak with Green Peppercorn Sauce ~ Roast Chicken with Preserved Lemon ~ Egg & Bacon Pie.
Click Here For Print-friendly Version