These spicy salted nuts are a popular treat in India, especially during Diwali. Use any nuts you like, just one kind or a mixture, and mix up the spicing to suit your taste. You can also use rice flour if that’s what you have on hand instead of potato starch. Serve these nuts with drinks and try them scattered over vanilla ice cream for a surprising dessert!
Makes about 2 cups
- 150g almonds
- 150g cashews
- 1 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 50g ghee
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Toss almonds, cashews, besan and potato starch together.
- Melt ghee and stir in garam masala, coriander, chilli, turmeric, cumin and salt.
- Pour over nuts and toss to coat well.
- Spread on a baking tray and place in oven for about 40 minutes, until toasted and golden, tossing them every 10 minutes or so.
- Transfer to a plate to cool then store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place until needed.