This is a great way to end a meal when you feel like something slightly sweet to nibble on but don’t want dessert. It’s inspired by a recipe in Lucio Galletto’s book Coastline, he makes his own ricotta, I cheat and use Vannella’s. It’s almost too simple to even be called a recipe … so take it as more of a guideline and vary to suit your taste. Cheese, nuts and honey are a great trio – hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, blue gorgonzola, washed rind taleggio, creamy ricotta, crumbly grana padano – take your pick. Use a beautiful natural honey, I like the citrus tang of the yuzu honey from Rooftop Bees. A branch of dried muscatels makes an attractive and tasty addition too. I love sipping on a glass of Nonino Gioiello honey distillate with this after dinner treat.
Serves 8 (or more) as a cheese course
- 1 cup walnuts (about 100g)
- 500g ricotta
- 8 pieces crisp almond bread
- 1 tablespoon honey, more or less to taste
- Toast walnuts in a dry frying pan for a few minutes, stirring often, until aromatic.
- Place ricotta on a platter.
- Surround with walnuts and almond bread.
- Drizzle honey over the ricotta and serve.