This recipe is inspired by one in Elizabeth David’s “Spices, Salt & Aromatics in the English Kitchen”. I like to serve it with a salad that has a little sweetness to cut through the heat of the pepper, witlof and mandarin segments or rocket and pear would work well too, but you could also serve it with steamed potatoes or other vegetables if you prefer. A wine match needs some pepper for harmony and some juicy fruit for balance – which led me to the excellent-value Mount Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Shiraz.
- 2 teaspoons salt flakes
- 3 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 3 teaspoons white peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 x 150g pieces eye fillet
Watercress, Orange & Chèvre Salad
- 4 cups picked watercress (about 1 bunch)
- 2 large oranges, segmented, juice reserved
- 16 slices baguette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 100g fresh goat’s cheese (chèvre)
- 2 teaspoons Sherry vinegar
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine pepper, salt, garlic and oil. Rub all over meat and leave to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Watercress, Orange & Chevre Salad: place watercress in a bowl, cut orange segments into four and add to the bowl.
- Brush baguette slices with oil and toast under an overhead grill until golden on both sides. Spread with goat’s cheese. Set aside.
- Place 1½ tablespoons of the reserved orange juice, the ¼ cup oil, Sherry vinegar, salt and pepper in a small screw top jar and shake to combine well.
- Heat a char-grill pan and cook steaks until well coloured and done to your liking; for medium-rare, cook for about 3 minutes on one side then turn and cook for about another 2 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Set aside to rest for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add dressing to the watercress and orange and toss well. Arrange on a platter and top with baguette slices.
- Serve pepper steak with salad on the side.
Notes: See Manchego, Fennel, Orange & Walnut Salad for details on how to segment oranges.
Try these other delicious steak recipes:
~ Steak Diane
~ Steak Sandwich
~ Café de Paris
~ Green Peppercorn Hollandaise
~ Easy Sauce Béarnaise
~ Beef Tagliata with Salsa Verde
Click Here For Print Friendly Version >