Honey carrots has long been a favourite side dish of mine, especially when the carrots are roasted so that they caramelise a little, adding a touch of bitterness to balance the sweetness. I love the look of whole baby carrots (also called Dutch carrots), but you could use sliced large carrots if that’s what you have on hand. Honeyed carrots are a great accompaniment to any roast meat or steak, but I’m also happy sitting down to a plate of these with just some fresh goat cheese and a glass of Vinteloper rosé. Try it!
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 20 baby carrots
- 25g butter
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Meanwhile, trim carrots, reserving the green tops, and gently scrub them (I use a new nylon scourer for this).
- Heat butter and honey in a small saucepan.
- Place carrots in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Pour butter mixture over them and toss to combine.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes or so, until well coloured and tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with a little of the carrot tops (saving the rest for salad or another dish).