My favourite dessert at MG Garage – in fact perhaps my favourite dessert of all time – was coffee granita with chocolate mousse. When Janni and I wrote Wild Weed Pie, we did a whole section on granitas saying: “‘squeeze, freeze, scratch and serve’ is almost the only recipe you need for granitas.” They really are that easy, and a simple coffee granita with a touch of cream instantly transports me to a Mediterranean holiday. I make 5 long black shots to get the 500ml of coffee, but you could also use plunger coffee. And if you want to try it topped with chocolate mousse, just follow my dark chocolate mousse recipe here.
- 500ml black coffee (espresso or plunger)
- ⅓ cup castor sugar
- Single cream, for serving
- Dissolve sugar in the coffee.
- Pour into a shallow metal tray and place in the freezer.
- After an hour, when it’s started to freeze, crush it with a fork to create flakes of ice.
- Keep crushing it every 30 minutes or so until completely frozen.
- Just before serving, crush it again.
- Spoon into glasses, pour a little cream on the top and serve.